Here in Britain we have lots of heritage sites, such as castles, old forts, Roman ruins and much more. In this video lesson find out about some of these sites by watching this short informative video. You can also improve your vocabulary and learn new phrasal verbs and also adjectives. At the end test your listening comprehension and answer the questions. Hope you enjoy!
1. Watch the video
2. Match the adjectives with their meanings
A. Famous, instantly recognisable.
B. Bad smells or odours.
C. Not changed, affected or damaged.
D. The highest quality.
E. Giving support to the monarchy
F. Really big.
G. Amazing, surprising.
H. Difficult, dangerous or challenging.
3. match the vocabulary with their definitions
2. Upper class
3. Working class
6. London Gherkin
A. Waste water or excrement
B. Clothes worn for a special occasion.
C. A building in London's financial district.
D. (slang) for man
E. The highest social group in society.
F. A wide ditch that surrounds a castle or fort.
G. Valued objects, qualities such as historic buildings and cultural traditions from previous generations
H. People employed for wages.
4. Match the phrasal verbs with their meanings
1. Fit in
2. Hop on
3. Hop off
4. Step in
5. Step back
6. Cut through
7. Find out
8. Break (it) up
9. Date back
10. See about (something)
A. Travel through something not around it.
B. To view a time in the past
C. To enter a train or bus
D. Stop fighting
E. Discover something
F. To leave a train or bus
G. To Make time for something
H. Something made or done in the past
I. To attend or deal with something
J. To become involved in something
5. Test your listening comprehension
1. How many people visit Britain every year?
2. How many Roman walled cities are there?
3. What is a great way to see the city of London?
4. What is the name of one of the largest parliament buildings in the world?
5. When was Regent Street built?
6. What cuts through the heart of the city?
7. How tall is the London Eye?
8. Why was it built?
9. How many visitors does it attract each year?
10. What is the name of the castle?
11. Who was held prisoner in the castle?
12. What is Adam's job at the castle?
13. What would it have been like to live there?
14. What is the weapon called the man uses?
15. What does the man hurt with his weapon at the end of the video?